What’s the one tiny thing you could do right now that would have you dancing with fear ? What’s the thing that would have you feeling a slightly nervous, ‘ gosh I hope this works out’, maybe I need to wait for someone else to do this first, kind of feeling. That’s your ‘edge’. I’ve found my edge this last year and now I want to own it.
But to find my edge I had to ask myself some hard questions.
Q. What am I more afraid of : settling or not giving it my best?
A. Settling definitely.
Q. What is my work ?
A. To have more impact.
Q. Who can I give to, more often, and how do i figure out how to do the giving I am afraid of more often?
A. I am not my resume, #WorkIsNotAJob. I am committed to making a beautiful ruckus.
Seth Godin encourages us to
Get better at dancing at fear – then the world gets to see that there is this person that loves dancing with fear and they are good at and people start lining up at the door.
Well, this is a blog that invites you to find your edge and start dancing.
Here are my 7 useful tips for doing that dance:
- Everyone feels like a fraud sometimes.
- Dancing requires you to be creative and brave. Sometimes you will stand on someone’s foot.
- Make a date with 5 or 6 others and agree to meet every fortnight to show each other the thing you have started. Commit to showing up and producing something new.
- Commit yourself to doing one thing everyday that stretches you – even if it’s brushing your teeth standing on one leg. Just do something.
- Open your arms and say hello to your fear, don’t hide behind the sofa. Come out and get to know each other.
- Agree that your purpose is a parachute, follow your purpose and it will carry you.
- Be unbelievably kind to yourself. Be as kind to yourself as you would be to a dear friend.
Now you are dancing with fear, out on your edge. Own it. It’s yours.